Home Contents Insurance

Cover against loss or damage caused by a broad range of insured events, such a cyclone, storm and flood.

Get a quote in 2 minutes
Retrieve a quote

Home Contents Insurance

With our Home Contents insurance you may be covered for unexpected events such as cyclone2, storm, flood and theft3 resulting in damage to your most important asset, your home.

We offer two options for Contents insurance; Essential cover which is our basic cover and Premium cover which provides you with the highest level of cover we offer. With our Premium cover you are covered for accidental loss or damage.

For full details of the conditions, limits and exclusions on all our cover options please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement.

Accidental Damage cover
Accidental Glass Breakage
Actual or attempted theft, burglary or housebreaking
Storm Surge2
Storm, cyclone2, rainwater or hail
Fire or explosion
Fusion of electric motors
Domestic pets
Deterioration of refrigerated foods
Fatal Injury
Contents in temporary storage
Contents in transit to a risk address
Credit and Debit cards
Legal Liability
Liquid or Water Damage
Malicious Damage
New for old cover for contents
Removal of debris
Riot or civil commotion
Temporary accommodation
Personal Effects
Optional Benefit
Optional Benefit
Show More
Show Less
Included in policy
Not included in policy

Policy Documents and Key Fact Sheets

We do not provide advice based on any consideration of your objectives, financial situation or needs. Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Before making a decision please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS). A key fact sheet is also available for reference.

Frequently Asked Questions

Some content items have standard policy limits (e.g. jewellery, fishing gear, push bikes etc). In some cases, you can increase the amount we’ll cover these items for. You will need to specify them on your policy, along with their individual replacement values.

Please refer to the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for details of items with specified limits of cover.

We will insure the contents for a maximum of three unrelated people. All owners/occupants must be listed as an insured on the policy.
Yes, it is important that TIO is informed of any change in use of the premises. If you have any other questions, please contact 131 846.
If your house has been broken into and a window has been broken or a lock removed, leaving your house accessible for anyone, you are able to have the window or lock fixed, to ensure that your property is secured. You are able to do this before an assessor has viewed the property or the claims team has contacted you. Make sure that you keep your receipt as TIO will reimburse you for the cost of fixing the damage inflicted in the break-in, if the claim proceeds.
Talk to a local
Our contact centre and claims teams live and work in the Territory, so we know Territory conditions.
We cover the conditions
With our contents cover, you may be covered for storms, cyclones, hail, storm surge and flood.
Trusted since 1979
TIO was established in 1979, to provide Territorians with insurance options that are right for them. Almost 40 years on, we are still here because we are as committed and passionate about the Northern Territory as you are.

1. Minimum premiums may apply

Any discounts/entitlements may be subject to rounding and only apply to the extent any minimum premium is not reached. If you are eligible for more than one, we also apply each of them in a predetermined order to the premium (excluding taxes and government charges) as reduced by any prior applied discounts/entitlements. Discounts may not be applied to the premium for any optional covers, including flood (where relevant).

2. 72 hour waiting period for loss or damage occurring from cyclones, storm surge or floods.

As the Territory is subject to catastrophic weather events, it is necessary for us to apply a 72 hour waiting period for loss or damage occurring from cyclones, storm surge or floods. This means if you arrange new insurance or make a mid-term alteration such as increase sums insured, you will not have cover for these events until 72 hours after purchase or alteration.

3. Theft

You are not covered for any loss or damage arising from theft from any part of your buildings which you share with another person who is not insured under the policy.